Wednesday, August 22, 2012

First Post

I've decided to start a new blog about cooking. This is it. I will probably post to it as much as I post to my other blogs - that is to say, rarely and at unpredictable intervals.

I love to cook. I love to read cookbooks. But I rarely use cookbooks in the kitchen. I cook by intuition, trial and error (lots of error), and by using my senses. I intend to define my cooking philosophy over the course of this blog, and let that philosophy guide my posts.

My "recipes" will be vague. A list of ingredients with no specified measurements, say. Ingredients are changeable. Use what you want and make it how you like it. Learn methods of cooking rather than recipes. Once you know a method, you can do just about anything with it.

I've posted a bunch of my cooking pictures on Facebook and have gotten a lot of positive feedback. Recently, someone asked me for my recipes for my dry rub and BBQ sauce that I featured in one of my photos. I started to explain about my "no recipe" philosophy, but decided that it was going to get too long for a Facebook thread. So, I started this blog. My next post will be about my dry rub and BBQ sauce.

At this writing, the name of this blog is "Cooking With My Eyes Closed." I don't really cook with my eyes closed. That's dangerous. But, I had to come up with a name to create the blog, and that's what came through my fingers onto the keyboard. I'd love suggestions for a new and more clever name. Or, maybe this one works, because, after all, if you know me at all, you know that I'm all about the metaphor.

Have fun. Be kind. Eat well. Give love.

No comments:

Post a Comment