Sunday, March 17, 2013

Short Ribs, Part 1

Short Ribs.

This is my first stab at short ribs. I researched lots of recipes and then, of course, made my own version.


First I salted and peppered. I always use kosher salt fresh cracked black pepper. I always crack the pepper in my mortar and pestle. (Pepper not pictured.)

 I rendered down some natural bacon for the fat in my Dutch oven.



Then I dredged the ribs in flour (I used AP flour and a little whole wheat white flour. I also lightly salted and peppered the flour.)



I browned the ribs in batches of 4 at a time in the bacon with some added olive oil.


After all of the ribs were browned and removed, I sauteed some diced shallot and onion, and some carrot cut into about 1 inch pieces. I deglazed with some red wine and let it come to a simmer, then added chicken stock, adjusted the salt and pepper, put the ribs back in and made sure they we just about covered with the liquid. Threw in a couple of Bay Leaves and a few sprigs of Thyme, put the lid on and left it alone in a 350 oven for about 3 hours.


It's in the oven right now as I write this. If the suspense is killing you, over here my salivary glands are going into hyper-drive. Oh, the aroma.



No comments:

Post a Comment